Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What Will Today Bring?

This is the day the LORD has made;
let us be glad and rejoice in it.
- Psalm 118:24
Every day of our lives is a gift from God. What we do with that gift, the choices we make, shape how the day goes. God might have blessed you with a steady job. Do you thank Him by doing the best you can each day? Or do you complain that the work is too hard, your co-workers are slackers, and do the least you can to get by? God might have blessed you with children. Do you thank Him by caring for them, playing with them, and laughing with them? Or do you spend the day nagging them to clean up their toys, shouting at them for spilling a drink, and longing for their bedtimes?

What about the days when it rains, when your car breaks down, when your savings fall to zero, when your goldfish dies? These too are gifts from God. Rain is good for the grass, even if it is not good for the soccer game. Fixing your car will keep the local mechanic in business for another week - your recommendation of his good work may keep him going much longer. An empty savings account may be just the prompt you need to take a risk on a new job. And a dead goldfish? Well, no more tank cleaning for a while.

Every day is created by God, and is a gift from Him. Rejoice and be glad, and strive to make the best of everything the day brings you; the good, the bad and the ugly. Even a dead goldfish.


1 comment:

  1. This year at GCU, God blessed me by allowing me to be part of choir, and be payed in scholarship money for it. Shortly after rehearsals and concerts started, however, I realized our choir wasn't going in a very good direction. The director is very disorganized and isn't the best at leading a choir. Seeing that our choir wasn't getting anywhere, a lot of our choir members adopted really bad attitudes, affecting mine as well. I definitely complained too much about it this year, forgetting how much God has blessed me financially through choir. At the same time, I may not have enjoyed it as much as I wanted to, but the experience is also strengthening me, as I know I will be dealing with difficult people in the music business. Next year, I want to focus on just being thankful for the opportunity to glorify God with my voice, and let my good attitude benefit everyone else in choir, in the audience, all over campus. I need to remember that my place in choir at GCU is a gift from God, and he placed me here for a reason.

    ReplyDelete