Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You Want Me to do What?

The LORD said to Abram: "Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father's house to a land that I will show you."
- Genesis 12:1
God said the same thing to me in 2003. I was born and raised in England. In 2000 I came to San Francisco for some job training, and met the man who would become my husband. When he asked me to marry him three years later, I knew that saying 'yes' would mean leaving my family, my friends, my home, and moving to a new country. I didn't hesitate.

Planning a wedding from 3000 miles away wasn't easy, plus I had to organize my move America at the same time. My whole life fit into 15 boxes, and my visa didn't come through until two weeks before the wedding! But despite the pressures, the headaches and the complications, there was always an underlying current of calmness that came from knowing that everything would work out. Not once did I think I was making a mistake. I believed that this was God's plan for me, and therefore He would take care of everything. And He did. The move and the wedding went without a hitch.

Once I arrived at my new home in Sunnyvale, California, my life was quite different than it had been in England. Not only were all my family and friends now 5000 miles away, but my husband's family were also far away, on the other side of the country in Pittsburgh. He had some wonderful friends who immediately welcomed me, but it was not the same. Not the same as having my sister next door, my parents in the next town, and my friends just a phone call away.

But again, despite the distance and all the changes in my life, I never felt lonely or alone. There was always Someone there with me, always Someone to comfort me and reassure me that this was all part of the plan. Even when I became pregnant immediately upon returning from our honeymoon, even when I was suffering from terrible morning sickness, even when I was planning the birth without my family and friends here to support me, I had peace. God had a plan for me, and He was there with me every step of the way.

Now here I am, almost eight years after God told me to 'go forth from the land of my kinsfolk.' I have a wonderful husband, a strong marriage, two precious children, a circle of friends that is growing all the time, and involvement in several ministries that enrich my spirituality more and more each day. If I had said 'no' to God, I would have none of this. I can see now why I had to leave my home and make a new one here, and I praise God that He gave me the strength and courage I needed through all the uncertainty.

It's not always easy to trust God, especially if we can't understand why He's asking us to do a particular thing, or what the end goal is. But He absolutely always has our best interests at heart. Our God is a loving God, and He only wants what's best for us. So put your trust in Him, even when it seems He's got it all wrong. Let Him do His work in your life, and peace will certainly follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment